Harrisburg Spousal Support Attorney

The term spousal support has a specific meaning in Pennsylvania. Unlike some states, alimony and spousal support are not synonymous here. Alimony refers to payments made after divorce, while spousal support refers to payments made during the separation and before the divorce is finalized. Spousal support may also be referred to as "alimony pendente lite," or APL.

At Purcell, Krug & Haller, we represent clients in Harrisburg, Hershey, Carlisle, Lebanon and throughout the region in divorce actions and related spousal support matters. We have decades of experience in Pennsylvania family law, and we can help you understand the differences between spousal support, APL and alimony, and more importantly, how each of them may come into play in your specific situation.

To speak with an experienced Harrisburg spousal support lawyer, please call 717-260-3485 (Harrisburg) or 717-533-3836 (Hershey). You can also email us.

How Is Spousal Support Calculated in Pennsylvania?

Spousal support and APL are calculated the same way:

  • If there are no minor children, then the payment amount is 40 percent of the difference between the net incomes of the parties.
  • If there are children, then the calculation is 30 percent of the difference between the net incomes of the parties. The result is then applied to the child support obligation.

Those are general guidelines, so something about your specific case may lead to a different amount. A legal consultation concerning your particular case may be advisable. Also, spousal support is taxable to the recipient and deductible by the payor.

The Harrisburg and Hershey lawyers of Purcell, Krug & Haller represent men and women who are entitled to receive spousal support as well as those obligated to pay. Whatever your situation, we will work to protect your rights and to ensure that you are treated fairly in this and all other aspects of your divorce.

Contact a Hershey Spousal Maintenance Lawyer

If your divorce is working its way through the system and you have concerns related to spousal support in Pennsylvania, an attorney at Purcell, Krug & Haller can help. For a free consultation, please call 717-260-3485 (Harrisburg) or 717-533-3836 (Hershey). You can also send us an email.