Full-Service Harrisburg Law Firm – Specialized Legal Counsel

Purcell Krug & Haller
Call 866-586-6058 or 717-260-3485

How can you modify a child support order in Pennsylvania?

A divorce order that was once manageable and workable may not longer meet your needs or match your current financial needs. Due to significant changes to your income and other circumstances, you may no longer be able to meet your child's needs on the current amount of support or be able to keep up with the payments per the current terms of the child support order. In either case, a Pennsylvania parent may find that a formal modification of the court order is needed.

A modification may sometimes be granted for parents who need more money due to the changing needs of their children. The custodial parent may be able to seek more money for issues that include recently diagnosed medical issues, educational needs, insurance changes and more. Any change to a child support order must go through the proper legal channels.

Additionally, a paying parent may find that due to new financial obligations, such as health care problems or job loss, he or she could need a modification. Most of the time, a person seeking a change to an existing order will need to prove significant changes in financial circumstances. A separate verbal agreement between parents is not legally enforceable in a Pennsylvania court.

If you believe that you may have grounds for a modification to your child support order, you would be wise to seek the help of a lawyer who knows the laws and knows how to protect your rights. Any legal process can be complicated, but you do not have to walk through it alone. A complete evaluation of your case can reveal the options available to you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information